The Autumn is there and with it the cold days. For such days, there is nothing better to eat than a soup. Soups are not only great to warm us in cold days but they are also very healthy. You can add as many vegetables as you want in a soup and make it a very nutritious and delicious dish.
I like almost all kinds of soups but one of my favorites is chicken soup. Chicken soups are very tasty and it is also well known that chicken noodle soup is a good remedy for cold and flu.
Here some of the best recipes for chicken soup. I hope you like them as I like.
Chicken Noodle Soup
3 lb. chicken
2 qts. water
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cup chicken stock
2 cups celery, chopped
2 cups carrots, chopped
1 tart apple, chopped
1 cup onions, chopped
4 cups egg noodles
- Place chicken in kettle with 2 quarts water. Cover until tender (about 2 1/2 hours). Remove chicken from kettle and strain broth.
- Debone chicken and return to kettle with strained broth.
- Add chicken stock, celery, carrots, apple, onions, and pepper and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add noodles and cook 8-10 minutes.
Chicken Soup With Tiny Meatballs
2 pounds stewing chicken
4 cups water
2 1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 pound small onions
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic
5 carrots, sliced
Parsley and celery leaves
1 cup finely minced beef
1 slice crumbly white bread
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
- Place chicken in water in large saucepan. Add salt, pepper, basil, bay leaf and garlic.
- Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer slowly for 1/2 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from pan. Cool and carefully skim fat from surface of soup.
- Bring soup to a boil and add onions, carrots, parsley and celery, simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Mix beef with egg, bread, salt and pepper.
- Form into small meatballs, add meatballs to soup and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, skim and bone the chicken. Cut meat into small pieces.
- Garnish the soup with chicken and serve.
Chicken Soup Recipe
1 large stewing chicken, cut in pieces
1 qt. cold water
1 tbsp. dried parsley
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp. salt (optional)
1-2 tsp. curry powder
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 med. onion, chopped
1 med. carrot, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 med. apple, pared, cored and chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup flour (optional)
1 (14 oz.) can stewed tomatoes
Cayenne pepper to taste
- In large soup pot or kettle, combine first 8 ingredients; cover and simmer approximately 45 minutes (until chicken is tender). Remove chicken, if needed, to determine the need for more water. You’ll need at least a quart. Discard skin and bones; cut meat into small chunks.
- In another large pot, heat oil over medium heat and add next 7 ingredients; simmering until tender. Remove from heat and stir in flour.
- Stir in broth, chicken and tomatoes (with juice) and cayenne pepper. Boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with croutons and serve. It makes 8-10 servings.